A warm welcome home: A homeowner’s guide to front door styles
A front door is a home’s first chance to make a good impression. After all, your front door is the first thing visitors see when they approach your home, so it’s important that it makes the right statement.
“The closer people come to your home, the more they should get a sense of your taste and lifestyle,” Donna Garlough, style director for Wayfair and Joss & Main told Realtor.com.
Opportunity knocks – 3 reasons to replace a front door
In addition to enhancing the exterior of your home for your own enjoyment, a sturdy and attractive front door can also help with curb appeal when the time comes to sell your home.
“A clean entrance can go a long way toward establishing a positive first impression,” said Cyndi Lesinski, a Zillow Agent Advisory Board member of Valencia, Calif.
According to Remodeling Magazine, replacing your front entry door is a high-value project, as homeowners generally recoup 91.3 percent of the costs upon resale.
Another pocketbook benefit: a new door can help save on energy costs. Today’s expansive line of ENERGY STAR® certified doors are specifically engineered to keep out moisture, air and dirt, and help eliminate drafts from the outside. Steel or fiberglass doors are foam-filled with thermally efficient material and contain the best weather seals on the market. Storm doors, meanwhile, create a barrier against bad weather, allow natural light into your home, can help reduce air leaks, and can be used for ventilation in the summer.
Finally, a quality, durable replacement door can provide an added level of safety and security for you and your family. According to the FBI, a burglary takes place about every 20 seconds in the United States and 34 percent of burglars are able to enter through the front door. Built tough, today’s solid wood, fiberglass and steel doors tend to feature door handles and high-quality locking mechanisms constructed of superior metal for extra durability.
Making an entrance: Front door styles
Whether modern or classic, a well-crafted front door is the perfect marriage of form and function. It should complement the architectural design of your home. With today’s wide variety of styles and materials, it’s easy and economical to transform a basic front door into a grand entrance.
- Entry doors. Your entry door gives visitors to your home a glimpse of your personality and your style! There are a wide variety of classic and modern looks that provide practical solutions as well as the aesthetics that make your home stand out. From classic wood grain to decorative glass doors, there are endless ways to customize.
- Double entry doors. Unlike a simple front entry door that opens to one side, double doors part in the middle, leading guests into the center of your entryway. Double entry doors work particularly well on larger homes where the overall scale of the home won’t be overwhelmed by such a large and dramatic entry point.
- French doors. Composed of panels of glass, French doors are particularly beloved because they allow for some privacy, while letting in a ton of sunlight and blurring the boundary between indoors and outdoors. Popular for both exterior and interior use, French doors traditionally come in pairs (like double entry doors), open from the middle and either swing in or swing out. To provide an extra level of privacy, homeowners often install curtains or blinds.
- Patio doors. Beautiful as well as functional, patio or sliding glass doors bring the outdoors inside. These space-saving sliding glass doors come in many styles and colors, and feature triple weather stripping for improved insulation and energy efficiency.
- Storm doors. Adding a storm door to your entryway door is a wise investment. Storm doors create a barrier against bad weather, protecting your front door from the brunt of bad weather. They can also help reduce air leaks and be used for ventilation in the summer. Storm doors can also be customized with numerous screen and glass options, including Art Glass.
Adorning your door with color
Once you’ve decided on a replacement door and consulted with your installation expert, it’s time for the fun part – color!
“One of the quickest and simplest ways to punch up your front entry is with a color that contrasts with siding and trim. You can go bold with, say, orange or simply go with something unexpected like a springy green. But if you aren’t one for color, a glossy black can create a similar pop,” Chris Ettel, founding partner of VB Homes and Tidewater Builders Association board member, wrote recently in The Virginian Pilot.
Online home design website, Porch.com notes that classic red says, “welcome,” sunny yellow gives off a positive vibe, while gray is “both neutral and dignified.”
Thinking about your next door replacement and installation project?
Long Doors carries a complete line of front door styles that compliment your home and satisfy your budget. When you trust Long Doors to complete your door replacement or door installation project, you know that you’re purchasing a quality, durable door that can save energy, provide security, and enhance the exterior of your home.
Interested in a new Long Roof?
See our special offers now.
*On initial visit only. Minimum purchase required. Cannot be combined with other offers. 7.99% APR for 144 months, $11.10 per $1,000 with 10% down on approved credit through GreenSky. Prior sales excluded. Some exclusions may apply. Offer expires 1/31/20.